skip to Main Content

What Do I Need to Do to File a Lawsuit Against the City of New York?

What Do I Need To Do To File A Lawsuit Against The City Of New York?

If you were injured because of the actions of government officials in the city of New York or due to the city’s negligence, you can file a lawsuit against the City for compensation. The process of pursuing compensation for your injuries from the largest city in the country, however, is complex and long.

Hire an Attorney

The very first step you should take to pursue legal action against the city of New York is to hire a personal injury lawyer. But you shouldn’t just hire the first personal injury lawyer whose commercial you see on television. Suing any city or state government isn’t a task for an inexperienced attorney. You need a personal injury lawyer who has experience representing clients in lawsuits against government agencies. Suing the city of New York requires a highly-skilled attorney with a deep knowledge of both personal injury law and the legal process for filing and litigating a lawsuit against a major city.

File a Claim

Suing the city of New York isn’t the same process as suing a negligent landlord for an injury you sustained while on their property. There are several significant differences. One is that to initiate a lawsuit against the City you actually don’t file a lawsuit at all. You have to file a Notice of Claim with the agency that may be liable for you being injured. Time is of the essence because you have to file a Notice of Claim within 90 days from the date of the accident or the date you were injured.

This is an important step. If you don’t complete the documentation included in the Notice of Claim accurately, your claim could be denied, and you would lose your ability to obtain any compensation you may be owed for your injuries. That’s why it’s best to hire a highly experienced attorney from day one to help you with your case against the City.


After you file your Notice of Claim, an examination of your claim will be conducted. By this point in the process, if you’ve hired your attorney to represent you from the beginning, your attorney will likely have already conducted their own investigation of your claim and began gathering evidence to support your claim. There will be a hearing as part of the City’s investigation. Leading up to and during the hearing, you’ll have to provide evidence to the City of your injuries, such as medical records and documentation. You may even have to provide testimony about the incident and your related injuries. Your attorney should be at this hearing to help protect your rights and preserve your claim.

The Lawsuit

After the hearing, the City may try to settle your claim depending on the results of their investigation. If they don’t, or if their settlement offer is less than your claim is worth, then you and your attorney may proceed with filing the lawsuit. Time is of the essence here, as you have one year plus 90 days from the date of the incident to file a lawsuit against the city of New York.

Call The Mandel Law Firm for Help With Your Case

Were you injured in an accident or hurt due to the negligence of the city of New York? You may be able to obtain compensation from the City for your injuries.

The New York personal injury attorneys of The Mandel Law Firm have gone up against big companies and big government. We don’t back down from a fight to help our clients get the justice and compensation they deserve for their injuries. We’ll work tirelessly from the moment we take on your case to try to reach the most favorable resolution for you in court.

But time is of the essence. Call us right away at 646-779-1441 or contact us online to schedule a free case evaluation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top